It was in the autumn of 1945 that the first drawings for an agricultural vehicle were produced by Albert Friedrich, the former head of aircraft engine design at Daimler-Benz. Friedrich surrounded himself with a team of committed development specialists, then formed a development partnership with Erhard und Söhne of Schwäbisch Gmünd.
Series production at the toolmaking company Gebrüder Boehringer in Göppingen began in 1948. As a large investment was necessary to achieve a high production volume, Daimler-Benz took over the project in autumn 1950; production at the Gaggenau commenced in 1951. From 1953 the Unimog bore the Mercedes star, and in the same year an enclosed cab was added to the previous cab with a folding soft top.
The Unimog S started its career two years later, soon proving extremely popular with the military and later in the civilian sector. In production until 1980, it is the best-selling series in Unimog history.